Knowing how to manage the land when building a swimming pool is an essential aspect. Some lands are on slopes or that are not adapted to carry out the construction of this type. Retaining walls are built to prevent water from flowing onto the pool deck, which is why they are so important.
Although sometimes the retaining wall may appear to be part of the design and decorative, they have a purpose in building a swimming pool. In many cases, the walls are necessary to construct the space correctly.
What is the function of the retaining wall?
The principal function is to satisfy the client’s needs. In other words, to put the pool in the right place so that water does not run into the patio. The retaining wall fills any blank space at the lower end and supports any soil at the upper end.
The retaining wall can be very evident at first sight when there are big falls, but when the hill is not so steep, this wall can also be decorative. The most common materials used to build retaining walls are concrete or stone. There are two types:
These are concrete blocks that are covered with another material, usually stone.
These are concrete blocks prefabricated and dry-stacked.
The principal function is to satisfy the client’s needs. In other words, the type of wall depends on what the client prefers, as it must be in tune with the design created for the swimming pool. Sometimes they can have other items attached to them. Waterfalls, our most popular option, helps the wall space to have new functionality that is very attractive and relaxing at the same time.
Probably at first, you will not be very interested in having a retaining wall. However, it is a requirement that can be adapted aesthetically to the space. In this article, we will give you some tips to keep in mind so that you can add a retaining wall without losing the initial design of your pool.
- Make the wall stand out in the space. You can decorate it with tiles, make mosaics, or mix materials around it to give it a different kind of atmosphere.
- Integrate it with the garden. If you have a concrete platform, make a terrace for your plants. You can place trees or vines that fall.
- Waterfalls for retaining walls are perfect. It gives the place a new ambiance and, when the pool is used, it can also have a relaxation area.
- Make your retaining walls part of a place for several people. You can use them to form a seating area at a height level between 18 and 22 inches. This idea can be very useful when you have social events in your pool.
- Keep the walls low. It will make the pool look much broader and the space much more open, keeping walls less than 5 feet high.
Those are other ways to take advantage of the space. If your backyard has a problem with slope or that the terrain is not flat, these are options that you can adapt.
In this case, it is usual for this type of thing to happen when a concrete pool is going to be built. Concrete is one of the most suitable materials that can provide many possibilities. It is perfect when you need retaining walls and at the same time, an essential design.